Influences (or Why I Write the Way I Do)

Natalie Goldberg (free-flowing writing)
Clarissa Pinkola Estes (wild woman writing)
Jane Hutchison (direct-to-the-point writing)
Ernest Hemingway (simple words writing)

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Bikol to English to Harry Potter

Translated two Bicol transcripts to English today. As I'm doing it, I could remember my Filipino teacher way back in college. That I was think 1990. To call one's self fluent, she said, on another language is to be able to translate in that language. I wonder what she'll say about my Bicol to English translation when my concern is to be truthful to the sayer as she or he meant it, and not just the words. That's the impact of micro-sociology for me folks. I'm more used to seeing social cues, as those embedded in pauses, the tilt in voices, and the frequency in which one uses 'ano' or 'kunyan' to mean little knowledge of the subject. I could note tiredness to signal my interview should end in 5 minutes. Repetitiveness, on the other hand, is not insignificant as this could mean frustration and agitation with the status quo. Hay. But I'm a little tired after sleeping at 3am today and happy to just rebel a bit and read Harry Potter all night.

No comments: