Influences (or Why I Write the Way I Do)

Natalie Goldberg (free-flowing writing)
Clarissa Pinkola Estes (wild woman writing)
Jane Hutchison (direct-to-the-point writing)
Ernest Hemingway (simple words writing)

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Separating Worlds: An Experiment with Time

last week, i worked from the flat and could not distinguish which was work and play. i would momentarily pause and grab hemingway's then begrudgingly, put it aside to face the computer. so i decided, with officemate or not, i'm working in the office the whole week. and wow, what a decision! the setting of a desk and gum trees outside, with mulch on the ground, made me feel comfy that while i'm using a zillion of my brain cells, i am still in a school, the positive vibrations of the academe swirling and egging me on. yesterday tuesday, i worked for about 3 hours, interspersed with meetings with jane and ian (barns, a former professor) and today wednesday, about 5 hours, interspersed with a writing seminar on structure. the walk to school afterwards, i feel was worth it. i worked and i earned it...not reading any article, not writing anything about my research but instead...while away chatting with yaman and grabbing a book to relax. so i guess it pays to have separate worlds of work and home. the former, to release energy because you must and the latter, to just gather enough energy for it by enjoying what you want, with abandon. last monday, my rest day, i really challenged myself to not do anything studentsy but read a pocketbook. i was able to finish robert van gulik's chinese lake murders in a day. so now, as fast as i write in the day, at night and late afternoons, i look forward to reading more the books i want to read (rhyme and the 12th card is underway), chat with yaman until she's fed up, surf at any blog that interests me, check my accounts online, read the professional heckler, cross stitch or just plainly lie in bed with my legs raised as i want to. discipline before pleasure is time deserved.

No comments: