Influences (or Why I Write the Way I Do)

Natalie Goldberg (free-flowing writing)
Clarissa Pinkola Estes (wild woman writing)
Jane Hutchison (direct-to-the-point writing)
Ernest Hemingway (simple words writing)

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Grazilda and One Hard Lesson

as a child, i was raised against reading komiks ('too bakya'), listening to radio dramas ('bakya pa rin'), and even singing songs by imelda papin, eva eugenio and claire dela fuente ('bakyang-bakya'). the only time i was able to watch a tagalog movie was on the sly. i was i think 10 years old, with jungee and yumi and two maids who took us with them inside the very old Jade moviehouse along abella street. it was a 'bold' movie (then) with a lot of kissing, starring mark gil and deborah sun! with all these no-no's, i was raised against appreciating what pinoy is as it is trending and changing with the attitudes and mores of the society around me. not that komiks, radio dramas, jukebox songs, and 'bold' flicks define philippine culture then, and in such adequate measure. i felt a bit estranged from what is happening, surrounding me. i felt indeed like a filipino out of touch with my philippine-ness. i'm writing this piece after getting a sermon from my mom about why and how could i tolerate yaman's watching of 'grazilda' tonight. grazilda is a parody of cinderella on tv. a sort of re-telling of the cinderella story from the point of view of a kind, patient but wily stepsister named grazilda. not that grazilda has moral lessons to teach my daughter in the style of barbie but very very white movies. it doesn't, in the proper mold, and it's even too magulo for a kid to comprehend. it's just that unlike me, i would have wanted my kid to just watch what she wants to watch because she likes to, and not because mom told her to. and if i allowed her to watch grazilda in lieu of reading a book, it's not a big deal really since books are just a pick away and i'm sure yaman would not be getting fixated with this grazilda stuff all the way. unlike my childhood where i felt left out of things curious to me, perhaps it's not wrong to allow yaman to indulge on her curiosity even if it means watching grazilda. but like me, yaman lives within the structure of moral persuasion and like me, we may buck the system but tradition would always rule.

No comments: