Influences (or Why I Write the Way I Do)

Natalie Goldberg (free-flowing writing)
Clarissa Pinkola Estes (wild woman writing)
Jane Hutchison (direct-to-the-point writing)
Ernest Hemingway (simple words writing)

Friday, November 26, 2010

Desperately Being Lady

i am a woman inside although i'm more comfortable with shirts, pants, and i wear my hair short.  now that i'm on fieldwork, my get-up is more defensive, 'tomboy-style', of maong and ordinary shirts. this is intentional, to be less confrontational when on the field, to be less academic ang dating, and invite cooperation rather than haughty stares. as much as possible, i just want to blend. the only time i get to be a little more girlie, formal is in church. two sundays ago, i attended the 7am mass in mt. carmel. it must be with how i look as the church usher asked whether i could assist in the offertory procession, assigned to carry no less than the Holy Water!

ShadowMan wouldn't say in straight like i do but he slipped when en route to the airport last monday, he asked, if possible, for me not to have my hair cut like this, this short...and that, well, he preferred that i be more ladylike...

ladylike. ladylike. one thing i haven't been, well sort of, since i stopped working in adb and wearing those smart tops and leather shoes. my wardrobe then wouldn't even be considered really ladylike as there's no skirts or dresses. i even compromise with pink, present in only one polo blouse, which incidentally Shadowman likes.

ladylike. it's quite difficult given my frame now. and as i know me, i may be ladylike in one season to just revert to my simple, laidback and mannish style in a while.  i don't know, let's see.  true love has a way of changing people.

1 comment:

LIGHTWORKER said...

Shadowman just loves this...