Influences (or Why I Write the Way I Do)

Natalie Goldberg (free-flowing writing)
Clarissa Pinkola Estes (wild woman writing)
Jane Hutchison (direct-to-the-point writing)
Ernest Hemingway (simple words writing)

Friday, July 8, 2011

Bayang Magiliw

Yaman is singing Bayang Magiliw. the way she sings it, of course, as a child, it's not by heart but by memory and the desire to sing it in tune. it's too young for her to understand. i never got to absorb its lyrics till i was past my 30s. quite sad for an Iskolar ng Bayan. ira was still 7 years old, so i must be 35. she asked me to interpret the lyrics. what does 'alab ng puso, sa dibdib mo'y buhay' mean? then how about 'may dilag ang tula at awit sa paglayang minamahal?'. wow, i may have been pregnant at that time but the weight inside my womb was nothing to the weight of my thoughts back then? how could i explain what i haven't adequately comprehended in the first place? so now as i listen to Yaman sing, i know it's a matter of months before she asks these weighty questions. i hope i won't falter as much as i did with ira.

No comments: