Influences (or Why I Write the Way I Do)

Natalie Goldberg (free-flowing writing)
Clarissa Pinkola Estes (wild woman writing)
Jane Hutchison (direct-to-the-point writing)
Ernest Hemingway (simple words writing)

Saturday, July 30, 2011

The Groovy Chick's Bedroom

Welcome to my bedroom. First a perspective of the four corners. The right side upon entering the door is occupied by a working desk.
The left side where the coat hooks are. That's my pink bathrobe, quite indispensable when entering and leaving the bathroom on wintry days like today.
The far right side where the closets are...
And the leftmost which contains the bed...I do have fear earthquakes will make the closets tumble and squash poor old me while sleeping...
The choice is whether to turn this lovely Igorot weaving into table runners (as it's supposed to be) or a wall decoration. I chose the latter.  It's sort of a memento wall, from Yaman (her characteristic pink hearts), Stephii (the muscled guy), Salma (the ant drawing - looks like), and my favorite passage on 'Success' by Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Ok, details na.  These closets are also here when  I moved in. I love it because it's classically spacious with numerous drawers.
Hmmm, how can I explain a table that contains vaseline cream (rubbed all over my feet every night for it to be smooth and crack-free), a pink storage box that contains my earrings, my prayer books and a chalice-shaped wood cup filled with rosaries and a St. Benedict medallion, a ceramic open vase containing lipsticks and pojo for headaches and a basket that contains toiletries used after taking a bath. This means, I'm finicky about my feet (to compensate for three dark toes ewww!), a trying-hard religious and just generally low maintenance. Oh before I forgot, that my hair is growing so I need to wear headbands while exercising. 
Stacks of books and notebooks (all fieldwork notes). Some are books bought for Yaman, cookbooks (wow!), books bought from swap mart of second hand bookstores, and books I don't do without: Nietzsche's Gay Science and Natalie Goldberg's Writing Down the Bones.
A mini desk bought from swap mart at A$5.00.  That green folder contains journal articles for reading this weekend. Yeah, no rest here.  That's my exercise towel. That maroon one is a table runner used whenever eating here in the room.
Cookbooks stacked with currently read books, Umberto Eco's The Name of Rose and Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility, the latter borrowed from Murdoch Lib. I'll connect all Jane Austen novels when in Manila na.
My writing desk, with mugs on the right (one for water, the other for tea or coffee and the brown one for goji berry juice dranked every morning after waking up. 
Apple cider vinegar and castor oil pertain to practices carried over from doing Hcg therapy. Yes, I have notebooks for everything. Stacked above the brown jewelry case is a notebook for recipes picked online, on food and can wraps and food catalogues; the other is my food and weight diary while the hidden moleskine is for exercises and numbers game played during flights.
That's Joel Harper's exercise video and my pumps (pair of 0.5kg and 1kg). I think it's obvious now that I love stacking things. See my bedside table above where abubuts and whatevers are in baskets, vases, storage boxes. In here, the pumps in a pink cube container while the white plastic one is for the charger, earphones, usb case and cords, and whatever electric.
See this blue basket? Bought from a garage sale for 0.50c. It's for my mobile phones.
The basket holds my slingbag, umbrella and mini-ladder (from Salma), the yellow enviro bag containing all other grocery bags. The black one contains my baon for lunch. The corkboard pinned with all grocery bills and the numerology chart from Mr. Nora for 2009. How I miss him...
I could not do without a thermos bottle for hot water and a refill bottle for ordinary tap water.  
Because I store water in my room to save trips to the kitchen...
Dried olive branches blessed last Holy Week.

And finally Yaman's Pride Wall!

No comments: