Influences (or Why I Write the Way I Do)

Natalie Goldberg (free-flowing writing)
Clarissa Pinkola Estes (wild woman writing)
Jane Hutchison (direct-to-the-point writing)
Ernest Hemingway (simple words writing)

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Four Friends and their Descent

four of my friends here in australia who did their phds, ahead of me by about 2-3 years posted successes with their thesis lately. three of them - janty (indonesian), jay (nepalese) and teng phee (malaysian chinese) had their thesis examined and eventually accepted. janty with minor corrections and teng phee without the need for any (impressive!).  jay did not say anything about the revisions on his thesis except that it has been accepted by the Research Committee of Murdoch. bic2x, my filipina friend, just handed in hers last friday and what a relief  it is, after 6 long months of waiting for the go-signal from her principal supervisor (she had 4 supervisors in all).  as bic2x said, they are now on the descent from the mountain. and while i still am on the ascent, just seeing them with skin, souls and sanity intact, weathered but still standing, fills me with a lot of inspiration. in my mind, i can see them with their hats, walking sticks, and weary but beaming smiles.

No comments: