Influences (or Why I Write the Way I Do)

Natalie Goldberg (free-flowing writing)
Clarissa Pinkola Estes (wild woman writing)
Jane Hutchison (direct-to-the-point writing)
Ernest Hemingway (simple words writing)

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

The Right To Shave My Head

if i could lawyer for the right to shave my head, it is this.  that hair can grow and that if one is shamed to be seen with me, in public, this way, then avoidance is their call, not mine.

for one's talk about freedom, there is really none. we are held within by structures. movable prisons that may permit movement but still constrain and dictate under the conditions set by others. 

and why would shaving my head be conditional with death?  i am not only bereft in exercising the right i once had; and threatened with the sentence of shame. more than this, i am left no choice for acceptance in life.

2 comments:

LIGHTWORKER said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
LIGHTWORKER said...

i could only sigh...freedom is not the issue here, it's propriety...after all nobody can really stop anybody from doing their thing...
---i won't allow to be ruled by this