Influences (or Why I Write the Way I Do)

Natalie Goldberg (free-flowing writing)
Clarissa Pinkola Estes (wild woman writing)
Jane Hutchison (direct-to-the-point writing)
Ernest Hemingway (simple words writing)

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Awakening

I was trying to push the limits. Still doubting yesterday's allergy as systemic. So today, against doctor's orders, ate the last batch of leftovers of a chicken dish that i experimented on last Sunday. Chicken cooked with beans, carrots, olives, fresh tomatoes, white onions, garlic, ginger and a dash of rosemary. It was naturally tasty and the beans gave it a homey earthy taste. I just let the chicken simmer so the sauce was pure chicken broth. And so i thought, what harm can two chicken thighs do? And so you bet, i finished up, the whole dish just at half past 7pm. Just in a few minutes, as i was about to wash the dishes, i felt it. My throat was feeling parched, tight. So ahead of time, ten minutes before 8pm, took the steroids and the anti-inflammation meds. Literally ate condensed milk and sugar to contain any other allergic reaction. Then i felt something new, scary. The tightening from the left side of my neck to the upper left shoulder. Then across my chest. Oh my, this is really systemic allergy. And it doesn't feel good. Hmmmmmm. So. Would this be the last chicken dish? The last bite of my favorite - chicken thighs. And is this goodbye? Goodbye seafood. Goodbye eggs. Goodbye chocolates. Goodbye citrus fruits (i don't like you anyway). Goodbye nuts (i will sorely miss you). I want to live longer you see. And each day, from now on, i will treat as a gift. Because i'm alone and without the meds, something bad may have happened, and even worse. So i'm not pushing the limits anymore. I'm not going to put to the test the good doctor's advice. I will wait for Doc Dea to arrive from the US and get a full allergy test. I need to know how to eat and live better with these restrictions. I need to repair and strengthen my immune system. I'm poised to be legend, not history. So then yes. The allergy's systemic. The lesson is learned.

No comments: