Influences (or Why I Write the Way I Do)

Natalie Goldberg (free-flowing writing)
Clarissa Pinkola Estes (wild woman writing)
Jane Hutchison (direct-to-the-point writing)
Ernest Hemingway (simple words writing)

Sunday, July 19, 2015

Ilo Praxedes

i watched him ANC's 'Mukha'. he is a child laborer somewhere in a sugarcane plantation up north. i have watched children in poverty but he struck me because at the age of 13, he has stopped believing, he has stopped dreaming. 'ayaw ko na pong mangarap'. and the documentor asks, 'bakit? bakit ayaw mo nang mangarap?'. 'ang hirap po ng buhay.' his answer.

poverty is a curse and for so many times, after witnessing the poverty of children in Jolo, Sulu sometime in 2008, i thanked the Lord for bringing me into a middle-class family that was able to put me to school and deliver on the conditions that made me dream and fulfill my dreams, one by one.

so in the next 44 years of my life, Ilo has made me dream again.  But this dream is not for me, or my family. these dreams are already guaranteed. I go out of my self to dream for children and youngsters like Ilo. I will endeavor to build the conditions for their dreams not to fade, ever. i am doing this now through charity and an advocacy work for battered women and their children. and I will do much better, one child at a time. the House of Hope is being built as I write and dream and do.

No comments: