Influences (or Why I Write the Way I Do)

Natalie Goldberg (free-flowing writing)
Clarissa Pinkola Estes (wild woman writing)
Jane Hutchison (direct-to-the-point writing)
Ernest Hemingway (simple words writing)

Friday, August 5, 2016

Meditating in Hashbrown

It was an exercise on mindfulness. I willed myself to eat a hashbrown at McDo-Magsaysay, fully. Just it. The time held between the hashbrown in my right hand and me. And this is what I noticed. Almost automatically, a thought would come like the distraction to text Xandy, the mom of Yaman's bestfriend, Kyla. It was automatic. I reached for the mobile phone but just in time, my mind nudged me back to mindfulness. The will to not be distracted. And to let the hashbrown rule  my world. To be overcome by a hashbrown.

And this is what I noticed again. That a McDo hashbrown is really delicious for its crunchiness and the extraordinary quality of each cubed piece, held together by a little flour and perhaps egg whites. A hashbrown costs P27 with VAT of P3. And it is just perfect with plain water. The saltiness washed down by ordinary clean water. It is too distracting to be enveloped with this noise in a typical McDo outlet. The babble of voices rising, from orders to calls and open conversations. But I am here, taking all these in, along with every bite of hashbrown.

And how grateful I am for today. This experience of mindfulness. Of taking the experience of eating in, while erecting barriers for the mind to  do its absorbing, simmering act. What a breakthrough.

No comments: