Influences (or Why I Write the Way I Do)

Natalie Goldberg (free-flowing writing)
Clarissa Pinkola Estes (wild woman writing)
Jane Hutchison (direct-to-the-point writing)
Ernest Hemingway (simple words writing)

Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Mirrors

i do not like mirrors. they remind me of ghosts. of white ladies appearing out of nowhere reflecting themselves back with contorted hideous faces.

there was a time, at Guijo, Quezon City, i lived over a year without a mirror. made myself up by just looking at the powder mirror.  i was so totally unaware of the need that my Mom bought one from Naga as a present.

until now, i do not like mirrors. i do not like looking at myself for long. i do not even stare at myself even in public comfort rooms where I need to wash hands after using the toilet.

i do not like what i see. The pudgy, fat and round me. even though i'm not. i'm afraid of this un-beautiful version of me.

i still hate mirrors.

No comments: