Influences (or Why I Write the Way I Do)

Natalie Goldberg (free-flowing writing)
Clarissa Pinkola Estes (wild woman writing)
Jane Hutchison (direct-to-the-point writing)
Ernest Hemingway (simple words writing)

Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Update on the PhD

I have not been writing since October last year. i stopped to rewrite my Lit Review which was quite awful and did not reveal the maturity by which i was approaching the thesis. A kind of maturity understanding more my data rather than wanting it to fit the theory I have in my mind. In a way, I was letting go of what theory was guiding me how to think.  

Jane apologized for pushing me into political analysis which I was not yet ready for from 2009 to 2013. Now I am raking it in and still stumble but the acceptance also of politics as a survivalist and sustaining strategy for political reformers is emerging.  

My literature review was written on a rush. I wanted to finish badly in February 2013. Now I understand why time was not on my side then.  It has still a lot to teach about humility and succumbing to my data.  

Now I am reading again. I am writing sentences on paper, on small notes, on stationery, whenever a rush of grand thoughts envelop my thinking.  my colleagues are finishing up. Nicole now has a PhD and her thesis in our library at Murdoch. I will get there in time. I have just taken a longer route to writing the reality of my PhD.  I am thankful to be the author of this reality. 

No comments: